OUR PARISH HISTORY
Some major milestones:
1864: The Opening of St Augustine’s, Myers Flat; also used as a school.
1866: A meeting of ‘gentlemen’ at the Johnson’s Reef Hotel, California Gully, to discuss building a Catholic Church in Eaglehawk.
1868: Laying of the foundation stone – Reverend Dean Backhaus.
1869: Opening of St Liborius Church by the Right Reverend Dr Gould, Bishop of Melbourne; parish was administered from St Kilian’s.
1904: Laying of the foundation stone for the Parish Hall, and the school was begun. Mercy Sisters travelled out from Bendigo.
1917: St Liborius, Eaglehawk became a parish in its own right; Fr E.J. Rooney was first Parish Priest. Properties at 386 and 388 Eaglehawk Road (then known as Mt Korong Road) were purchased to be used as a presbytery and a convent respectively.
1920: Sisters of St Joseph staffed the school and lived in the convent.
1954: The Order of Friars Minor came to look after the parish.
1978: The Sisters of St Joseph withdrew from the parish and the first lay Principal was appointed.
1979: Raywood and District was brought into the parish.
1982: Two new classrooms were built.
1994: Refurbishing of Administration Area of School and Staff Rooms and the two new second- story classrooms and a glass vault erected over courtyard.
1999: The Franciscan Friars withdrew from the parish and a Diocesan Priest was appointed.
2004: New developments were begun: relocating of tennis courts, parish centre, presbytery and building of four new classrooms.
2005: The official opening of the St. Liborius Parish Centre.
2011: The opening of the new Liborius Centre.